Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
My wonderful mother-n-law gave me this recipe and it is always requested for picnics or family get togethers. The herbs can be subbed at your discretion, or added to the original recipe. Enjoy ** time does not include refrigeration time
- 2 -3 cucumbers, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 onion, sliced thin (red or sweet works best)
- salt and pepper
- basil (optional)
- oregano (optional)
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional- if you want heat) (optional)
- in medium size bowl blend together milk and mayonaisse, add herbs or peppers if using.
- slice cucumbers wafer thin add to mix.
- slice onions thin add to cucumber mix and.
- blend together.
- add s & p to taste.
- refrigerate at least 1 hour, stir before serving.
- I often make this early in the morning for dinner or let marinate ovenite (covered).
A totally delicious way to serve cucumbers. I made as written, adding chilli flakes, oregano and some fresh chives. My homemade mayo was quite runny so I could have used less milk, but that wouldn't apply to everyone. Thanks so much for posting.
Well named recipe. It really is easy!! Good flavours and the little bits of chili flakes work wonderfully. I included about 1tsp each of the basil and oregano. Only think I'd watch next time is probably not to use the full amount of milk as it did dilute the Mayo I used and made it quite thin, however this didn't impact on the great taste. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap April 2013.
This is such a treat. I used the basil, oregano, salt and lots of black pepper. I also opted for red onion. This recipe is like a taste of summer during a cold spring!