Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My mom made this every summer growing up, and I carry on this warm weather tradition. If the taste of vinegar is too strong for you, add a 1/2 cup of water.
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup distilled vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 cup thinly slice red onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried parsley or 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle salt on cucumbers and let stand for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse cucumbers gently and in same bowl, add vinegar, water, sugar, dill, onion, parsley, and pepper.
- Chill at least 2 hours to serve cold.
This is a lot like my Mom's cucumber salad. Yum! It brought back a lot of summer memories and will hopefully create some for my children too. Thanks Rochsann.
You did warn for the strong vinegar taste. But even after adding extra water it was still too strong. Decided to pour off the liquid after it had marinated for several hours in the fridge. Let it stand for another couple of hours and then it was OK.
This is a very simple yet tasty dish to make. It is perfect to serve with just about anything. The flavor seems to "cool you off" on these hot summer days. I served it with chicken, we cooked on the grill. It was great, not too filling! Thanks!