Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is such a decadent summertime treat! Hopefully you enjoy this sometime soon! It may take longer than one hour for the pie to firm- Depending on the temperature. Enjoy!
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 9 in.baked pastry shell
- Thoroughly mix gelatin, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt in saucepan.
- Beat together egg yolks, fruit juices, and water; stir into gelatin mixture.
- Cook and stir over medium heat just till mixture comes to boiling.
- Remove from heat; stir in peels.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, till mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.
- Beat egg whites till soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating to stiff peaks; fold in gelatin mixture.
- Pile into cooled baked pastry shell.
- Chill till firm.
- Trim with whipped cream and thin orange slices cut in fourths.
This was an exceptional recipe. The only thing I did differently was add very very thinly sliced lemon inside the pie. The whole thing took about 30 min prep time. Served it at camp and there was none left. Great Pie.Margie Brock
This is one awesome recipe, everyone loved it. So light, tangy and easy to make a great summertime or anytime recipe. Everyone needs to try this one out.
Just like J-Lynn, my gelatin did not set up either. I wish I had read her review before making this one so I could have done what she did and salvaged my pie. Taste was good though.. a little sour, but we like that in a citrus pie. Thank you for posting.