Recipe by Trinkets
On a hot summer night, what is better than a cool salad? This goes with grilled chicken or fish really well. I sometimes add chopped apples, fresh herbs, and top with sliced green onions. Substitute vegetable stock for a vegetarian dish.
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 2 cups pecans, toasted and rough chopped
- 1⁄2 cup black beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups orange sections, rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan or in a microwaveable dish bring the stock and butter to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the couscous, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff gently with a fork and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a large bowl stir together the pecans, black beans, celery, bell pepper, onion, zest, and orange segments.
- Whisk the lemon juice, orange juice and olive oil together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine all ingredients and reseason with salt and pepper.
- Chill and serve later or serve immediately.