1/1 Photo of Cool/Cold Bag for First Aid, Better Than Ice
Last weekend we were visiting friends in Germany and my Daughter and I got bitten by mosquitoes, and since we are both allergic to them we were full of swollen lumps. DD also took a tumble and sported an impressive bruise on her knee... but my friend Tatjana came to the rescue with this simple remedy. It's surprisingly soft and comfortably cold without the chilling lumpy frostiness if ice and it recycles cherry pips, so is also environmentally friendly. I tried to enter cherry pips in the ingredient list but that's not possible, but you will need between 1/2 lb and 1 lb (250-500g) of ONLY the pips of the cherries not the actual fruit, so when cherries are in season, start saving those pips instead of throwing them away! Can NOT be used as a heat pad, so please don't try microwaving it. Prep time assumes that you have a heap of cherry pips cleaned, dry and ready for assembling the bag.
My Private Note
- 1Eat the cherries, keep the pips but discard the stems.
- 2Soak the cherry pips in water for an hour to soften the residue on them, then boil them until they are clean.
- 3Cool and dry them well.
- 4Sew a square or rectangular pillow from a soft cotton fabric, leaving a small opening so that you can fill it with the cherry pips.
- 5Fill and then sew the opening closed.
- 6Keep the bag in your freezer to use on all swellings and bruises.
- 7Excellent for painful insect bites because it's cold enough to give relief but not enough to burn with cold. It's amazingly comfortable too. Can NOT be used as a heat pad, so don't microwave it.
You Might Also Like...View All Bath/Beauty Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cool/Cold Bag for First Aid, Better Than Ice
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.8
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 35.1 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: