Prep 30 mins
Cook 72 hrs
Make ahead soup that is perfect on warm summer days.
- 1 vidalia onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, finely chopped (reserve)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 pint buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Sauté onion and sliced cucumber in olive oil until onion is transparent.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add water, chicken base, pepper flakes and garlic. Bring to a boil.
- In a small pan, melt butter then blend in flour. Add to cucumber mixture, simmer 30 minutes.
- Process soup in blender until smooth.
- Stir in buttermilk, lemon juice, dill, reserved chopped cucumber, sour cream and chives.
- Cool soup completely, adjust seasonings and thin with half & half or milk if needed.
- Serve cold.