1/2 Photos of Cool Apple-Oat Muesli
12 hrs 10 mins
White Rose Child's Note:
You'll be surprised at how pleasant it is to eat your oatmeal uncooked in this way. It's easy, satisfying and refreshing, especially on a hot summer morning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons raisins (I use Thompson or Lexia- just make sure they're seedless!)
- 1 medium apple, cored and cut in half
- 1/4 cup apple juice (a high-quality, unpasteurized variety is best)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon coconut, medium-shred
- 1 tablespoon cashews or 1 tablespoon almonds or 1 tablespoon walnuts or 1 tablespoon other nuts, of your choice
- 1Soak the oats and raisins in the water overnight, covered.
- 2In the morning, drain off and RESERVE the water. Use a wire-mesh colander for this. Hold it right next to the oats' bowl and drain carefully so they don't all end up in the colander. It's rather annoying trying to scrape them out of the mesh!
- 3Transfer the oats and raisins to a food processor (if you have a mini-processor, use that!). After coarsely chopping half the apple -for easier blending- add it to the processor.
- 4Add the juice, cinnamon and a pinch or two of nutmeg, plus about 3 Tbsp of the soaking liquid. Blend on a low or medium setting for about 10 seconds. Then check it; it should be fairly smooth but not liquefied. Add 1-2 Tbsp more soaking liquid to thin as desired.
- 5Pour everything into a bowl, dice the rest of the apple and stir it it. Top with coconut and nuts as desired.
- 6NOTE: For a more manageable bowlful (this much is very filling) reduce the oats to 1/4 cup and slightly reduce everything else.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cool Apple-Oat Muesli
Serving Size: 1 (580 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.2
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 70.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 39.7 g
- Protein 11.9 g