You'll be surprised at how pleasant it is to eat your oatmeal uncooked in this way. It's easy, satisfying and refreshing, especially on a hot summer morning.
- 1⁄3 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons raisins (I use Thompson or Lexia- just make sure they're seedless!)
- 1 medium apple, cored and cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice (a high-quality, unpasteurized variety is best)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon coconut, medium-shred
- 1 tablespoon cashews or 1 tablespoon almonds or 1 tablespoon walnuts or 1 tablespoon other nuts, of your choice
- Soak the oats and raisins in the water overnight, covered.
- In the morning, drain off and RESERVE the water. Use a wire-mesh colander for this. Hold it right next to the oats' bowl and drain carefully so they don't all end up in the colander. It's rather annoying trying to scrape them out of the mesh!
- Transfer the oats and raisins to a food processor (if you have a mini-processor, use that!). After coarsely chopping half the apple -for easier blending- add it to the processor.
- Add the juice, cinnamon and a pinch or two of nutmeg, plus about 3 Tbsp of the soaking liquid. Blend on a low or medium setting for about 10 seconds. Then check it; it should be fairly smooth but not liquefied. Add 1-2 Tbsp more soaking liquid to thin as desired.
- Pour everything into a bowl, dice the rest of the apple and stir it it. Top with coconut and nuts as desired.
- NOTE: For a more manageable bowlful (this much is very filling) reduce the oats to 1/4 cup and slightly reduce everything else.