1/1 Photo of Cooky-Jar Sugar Cookies
2 hrs 10 mins
This is an adapted recipe from the 1953 Edition of Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, although I know this as my Great Aunt Mimi's recipe because she tweaked some of the ingredients. These cookies have a simple yet extraordinary flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Thoroughly cream the SOFTENED butter and the sugar, orange extract, and vanilla.
- 2NOTE: I prefer orange extract over the zest because I think it has a stronger flavor. Although zesting an orange is probably cheaper.
- 3Add egg; beat until fluffy, stir in the milk.
- 4sift the dry ingredients. (The flour, baking powder and salt.).
- 5Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and blend well.
- 6Divide the dough in half.
- 7Chill for 1 hour or overnight.
- 8After an hour or the next day, on a floured surface, roll half of the dough to 1/8 inch thick. (keep the remaining dough chilled until you are ready to roll it.).
- 9Cut into shapes and place them on a greased baking sheet.
- 10at this point you can decorate them with candy, raisins, nuts and colored sugars if you want.
- 11Bake at 375 degrees F for 6 to 8 minutes.
- 12Cool slightly and remove them from the pan.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cooky-Jar Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.1
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 44.9 mg
- Sodium 102.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 2.8 g