Recipe by Lori Mama
Submitted from a Cooks Illustrated magazine with a slight adjustment. This a nice recipe for a luncheon, appetizer or as a side for a light supper. Recipe submitter will not recognize the 1 sheet of 9 1/2 "x 9" puff pastry needed for this recipe.
- puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups gruyere cheese
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed and patted dry
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Adjust oven rack to upper middle position.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place puff pastry on sheet.
- Brush edges with water and fold over sides 3/4 inch.
- poke interior with fork.
- Top with 1 cup of the cheese.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- In large non stick skillet brown bacon until crisp.
- Transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Pour all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan and add the shallots.
- Saute until soft then add the potatoes and cook until browned.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the bacon.
- In small bowl combine sour cream and tarragon.
- Cover the pastry with potato mixture, remaining cheese and.
- dollop with sour cream mixture.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Cut into desired pieces.