Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in their 2010 Light and Healthy cookbook. Weight Watcher friendly = 10 points
Make and share this Cooks Illustrated Spaghetti Carbonara (Weight Watcher Friendly) recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated (or parmesan cheese)
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped coarse
- 2 slices bacon, chopped coarse
- 3 garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Proces the cheese, evaporated milk, 1-1/2 T of the mayonnaise, eggs in a food processor until smooth, about 15 seconds; leave the mixture in the food processor.
- Cook the two bacons together in a 12" nonstick skillet over medium heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon is browned, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic and pepper to the fat left in the skillet, and cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the wine, bring to a simmer and cook until thickened slightly, about 1 minute. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Toss the pasta with the remaining 1-1/2 tsp mayonnaise until coated.
- With the food processor running, slowly add the wine mixture and 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water to the egg mixture and process until smooth and frothy, about 1 minute. Immediately pour the egg mixture over the pasta and toss to combine, adjusting the sauce consistency with the remaining reserved cooking water as desired. Stir in the bacon and season with the salt to taste, Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
My family thought this was very good. For my personal taste, I would either make more sauce (or additional evaporated milk), or less pasta. Appreciate that this is low fat.