This is a great recipe for scalloped potatoes. It is so easy! It takes less than 1/2 hour to bake and have on table! The potatoe slices are cooked in the broth and cream mixture on top of stove which helps cut down on cooking time in oven. I have used a mixture of Asiago cheese and sharp cheddar cheese and it was fantastic! You could also use Havarti or any other kind of cheese you like!!!!! Excellent recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes or 5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the foaming subsides, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the potatoes, broth, cream, and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender (a paring knife can be slipped into and out of a potato slice with some resistance), about 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
- 43. Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish (or other 1 1/2 quart gratin dish). Sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Bake until the cream is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cook's Illustrated Scalloped Potatoes With Thyme and Bay
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 613.3
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 126.6 mg
- Sodium 1012.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 15.7 g