1/1 Photo of Cook's Illustrated Restaurant-Style Hummus
This is a smooth and silky hummus from those people on PBS who know how to test and create great recipes. They recommend Joyva or Krinos tahini and Pastene chickpeas (I used what I had on hand). Hummus can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 5 days. If you do not plan on serving it immediately, refrigerate the hummus and garnishes separately. When ready to serve, stir in approximately 1 tablespoon of warm water if the texture is too thick. Serving size is estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 14 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove (minced or pressed through garlic press 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, minced
- 1Combine lemon juice and water in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- 2Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup.
- 3Set aside 2 tablespoons chickpeas for garnish.
- 4Process remaining chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds.
- 5With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through feed tube.
- 6Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute.
- 7With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube and continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy (about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed).
- 8Transfer hummus to serving bowl and sprinkle with reserved chickpeas and cilantro over surface.
- 9Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes.
- 10Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cook's Illustrated Restaurant-Style Hummus
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.1
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 302.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.5 g