Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from a Cook's Illustrated magazine a few years ago. This is my absolute favorite chicken recipe. The flavor is wonderful and delicious. This recipe is for kabobs, but I have also used the marinade for whole chicken breasts, which also turn out wonderful.
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-in . pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-in . pieces
- Whisk yogurt, 1/4 cup oil, 1 Tblspoon garlic, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne in large bowl.
- Cut chicken into chunks if you are doing kabobs. Stir in chicken (when I don't have time to do kabobs, I just put in whole chicken breasts into marinade).
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 3-6 hours.
- Whisk remaining 1/4 cup oil, remaining teaspoon garlic, basil, and lemon juice in small bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate while chicken is marinating.
- Remove chicken from yogurt marinade; discard marinade.
- Thread each skewer with 2 pieces pepper, 1 piece onion, 2 pieces chicken, and 1 piece onion. Repeat twice more, ending with 2 additional pieces of pepper.
- Grill over medium heat until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink, turning every few minutes, about 15 minutes total.
- Transfer to serving platter and brush kebabs all over with lemon dressing.
A hidden gem. If you ever go out to a restaurant and wonder how they make the chicken kabobs so tender, then here is your answer: it's the yogurt. It keeps the meat juicy while adding a nice light creamy texture. The amount and combination of herbs is perfect as well. Thank you
Awesome! We loved this! So simple but wonderful results. Chicken is very tender and perfectly seasoned. Served with whole wheat couscous for a simple summer meal the whole family enjoyed. Thanks for sharing the recipe!