4 hrs 15 mins
Chef #879769's Note:
This recipe is from a Cook's Illustrated magazine a few years ago. This is my absolute favorite chicken recipe. The flavor is wonderful and delicious. This recipe is for kabobs, but I have also used the marinade for whole chicken breasts, which also turn out wonderful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-in . pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-in . pieces
- 1Whisk yogurt, 1/4 cup oil, 1 Tblspoon garlic, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and cayenne in large bowl.
- 2Cut chicken into chunks if you are doing kabobs. Stir in chicken (when I don't have time to do kabobs, I just put in whole chicken breasts into marinade).
- 3Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 3-6 hours.
- 4Whisk remaining 1/4 cup oil, remaining teaspoon garlic, basil, and lemon juice in small bowl.
- 5Cover and refrigerate while chicken is marinating.
- 6Remove chicken from yogurt marinade; discard marinade.
- 7Thread each skewer with 2 pieces pepper, 1 piece onion, 2 pieces chicken, and 1 piece onion. Repeat twice more, ending with 2 additional pieces of pepper.
- 8Grill over medium heat until vegetables are tender and chicken is no longer pink, turning every few minutes, about 15 minutes total.
- 9Transfer to serving platter and brush kebabs all over with lemon dressing.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cook's Illustrated Grilled Chicken Kabobs
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.9
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 72.4 mg
- Sodium 676.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 29.6 g