Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Quick and easy but delish basic sauce for pasta. You can add whatever you like in addition but is really good as is. Even better the next day!
- 1⁄4 cup grated onion, grating is key
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add in grated onion, oregano, and salt. Cook until onion is nice and brown without burning it. About 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add whole can of tomatoes and sugar. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add olive oil and chopped basil then serve over hot pasta of your choice.
I used this sauce as a pizza sauce. It came out fantastic and was even better the next day when all the flavors were able to meld together.