This is from America's Test Kitchen--those folks who take all the guesswork out of your recipes for you on public television. They suggest for foolproof egg peeling to tap the egg all over against the counter, then roll it gently back and forth a few times on the counter. Begin peeling from the air pocket end. The shell should come off in spiral strips attached to the thin membrane. I used fresh squeezed lime juice in place of lemon juice. The lemon (lime works too) is the key ingredient to making this egg salad fantastic.
- 6 eggs, large
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, minced
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, medium and chopped fine (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I like Grey Poupon(so does America's Test Kitchen)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- ground black pepper
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove pan from high heat. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Fill a medium bowl with 1 quart water and 1 tray of ice cubes.
- Transfer eggs to ice water bath with slotted spoon and let sit 5 minutes.
- Peel eggs and dice medium.
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl, including pepper to taste. Serve or refrigerate overnight.
Yum. I really enjoyed this a lot. I added a pinch of green onions that I had left, and some lettuce. Thanks AmyZoe for sharing. Made for I Recommend Tag.
Great egg salad. Loved the use of red onion and the lemon juice gave it just a hint of tart. Used as filling for sandwiches.Thanks AmyZoe
Just how I like my egg salad! It's more than just chopped eggs and mayo. I made this just as written. Loved the slight tang of the lemon juice. This is perfect for sandwiches or pitas. Thanx!