Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Taken from Cooks Country
Make and share this Cooks Country Skillet Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 10 curly edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2 inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Pour tomatoes with their juices into 1 quart liquid measuring cup. Add water until mixture measures 1 quart.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and pepper flakes snd cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ground meat and cook, breaking apart meat, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Scatter pasta over meat but do not stir. pour diced tomatoes with juices and tomato sauce over pasta. Cover and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Dot with heaping tablespoons ricotta, cover, and let stand off heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and remaining 3 tablespoons parmesan. Serve.
I cooked this last night for dinner and it was FABULOUS. Very simple and full of flavor. I chose a pork and hamburger mix since the store did not have meatloaf mix. This is a WINNER!
We really enjoy this recipe. I've made it several times and always comes out tasty and it's fast. I use 1/2 ground beef, 1/2 italian sausage. Having it for dinner tonight. Yum!
I've been intrigued by the idea of skillet lasagna so I gave it a try. It was fun and stress-free! My kids are not lasagna fans but they both ate this. I think it was because it was more "free form" and easy to skip over the ricotta! I was very short on hamb. and used 1 jumbo frozen patty and added some diced zucchini in with the onion (great way to hide it!). I cooked mine a bit longer because my noodles were really al dente. I also added about 3/4 cup mozz. I will definitely make this again- so much easier than lasagna and only one dirty skillet! Thanks Tara- Roxygirl