Recipe by kitchenslave03
From Cook's Country. Doesn't use packaged baking mix like most. Don't overmix the dough or they will be tough.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, 7 1/2 oz
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage, bulk
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, 1 cup
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Pulse flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and cayenne in food processor til combined, about 3 pulses. Add butter and pulse utnil mixture resembles coarse meal, about 12 pulses. Add sausage and cheddar and pulse until combined, about 8 pulses. Transfer mixture to bowl and stir in buttermilk til combined.
- Working with wet hands, roll 1 T dough at a time into 1 1/4" balls and place on baking sheet. Bake til golden brown, about 20-22 min, rotating baking sheet halfway through. Let cool 5 min before serving.