Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Dalton Babb's Cooking The Caribbean Way. This CooKoo dish is an accompaniment to Babb's Special Fish from Barbados. The combination of the special fish recipe and this CooKoo is the Typical Barbados Saturday Night Supper.
- Boil okra in 2 pints water for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour entire contents into a bowl.
- Put cornmeal, 1 pint cold water and salt into a saucepan and cook over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Drain water from okra at five-minute intervals, adding it to the meal.
- At the same time, gradually add some of the meal to the okra.
- This process should continue for 30-45 minutes, depending on the consistency desired.
- The longer cooking period will produce a thicker CooKoo.