Recipe by That Napa Chicken Ranch
Tailgating recipe from Dodge Caravan ad!
Top Review by gandsduhon
Well, I was reading through an OLD copy of Cooking Light...I never really read over the advertisement sections so much, but this maple cake caught my eye...I'm far away from getting everything I want (like pecans) down here in the Caribbean, BUT...I said, "this can work with walnuts." My wife and I were doing a salmon lunch for some good friends who have been working overtime on an important project together, so I threw this together - VERY easy cake to make...and it was a fantastic hit! Fortunately, we had a little supply of real Canadian maple syrup. Tip: after you've assembled the cake, platter-it because it's really pretty...drizzle maple syrup on the platter, plate the cake, and then drizzle some on top of the frosting on top. It stays beaded (the syrup) and looks pretty.....
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, toasted finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 1⁄3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, coat two.
- 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and nuts. Combine granulated sugar and 10 tablespoons butter in a bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pans;
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Invert onto racks; cool completely.
- To prepare frosting, combine 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar, and half-and-half in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes without stirring.
- Combine butter mixture, powdered sugar, and maple syrup in a mixing bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes.
- Spread 1/2 cup frosting over 1 cake layer; top with remaining cake layer. Drizzle with remaining frosting. Let cake stand until frosting is set.