Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From the magazine. Though it doesn't call for chicken breast, that's what I use. I imagine it isn't quite as rich without dark chicken, I don't care for non-white parts. Make this ahead of time -- it has to sit in the fridge for 8 hours. I don't think the nutritional info Zaar gives this will be accurate, since you remove the skin and skim it, but the magazine gives it for one cup as: 137 calories, 16 g protein, 2.7 g fat, 11.3 g carb, 56 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium.
- 2 quarts water
- 3 lbs bone-in chicken
- 1 large onion, cut in 8 wedges
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- Place the first seven ingredients in a large Dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; strain broth, discarding solids (keep broth).
- Let each cool separately in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Discard skin and bones; cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and add back to broth.
- Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Skim fat from broth and discard; set aside.
- Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot.
- Add carrot, celery, and onion; saute 10 minutes.
- Add broth, sage, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Add noodles; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Add peas and continue cooking until noodles are tender.