Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an easy side dish paired with Barbecue-Rubbed Pork Chops in CL's April 2007 edition.
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Combine the milk and water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Slowly add the grits, stirring well with a whisk. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes until thick. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar cheese, butter, salt, and pepper until cheese is melted.
Great recipe! The whole family enjoyed it. I love grits but don't make cheese grits very often because they're so high in fat. This recipe was delicious and so much more healthy. Cooking Light rocks! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I had saved this recipe some time back as it looked interesting and then forgot it; while going through my breakfast cook book found it again and finally made it today. What a shame I hadn't done it sooner, everyone loved the creamy, cheesy flavor of these dish and it's so simple and fast to put together. You'd never know it was a lighter version. I made as directed and wouldn't change a thing. It sure won't be that long until I make it again. It did make a LOT, more than 4 servings for this family so I have left overs and will be excited to see how reheated comes out. This is one great recipe.
I just made dinner from the same page of Cooking Light that you got these recipes and came to post them! I loved the grits. From MS, am a long-time grit-cooker, but this is going to be my new recipe from now on.