Recipe by SashasMommy
Cooking Light, April 2006. If you make this cake in a 9-inch Springform pan, cut the baking time by about 15 minutes. The center of the cake may appear looser than expected, but it will become firmer as it chills overnight.
Top Review by madeleine.claire
This was the first cheesecake I've ever made, and it was easy and turned out pretty well. I did get really confused about the eggs, because in the list of ingredients, you wrote "3 egg whites, divided" AND "4 eggs." I had to look up a bunch of different cheesecake recipes to figure out that the 4 whole eggs was in fact what I needed to put in, and the ONE egg white I used in the crust was the only place for that.
Also, it tastes really good, but more like danish than cheesecake in my opinion. Maybe it's the lack of sour cream? I would make it again, but not before sampling a few more recipes since this is my first to try.
Another thing to mention is that I opted for real, full-fat cream cheese instead of the recommended light, so I'm not sure how it would taste made another way.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 20 reduced-fat vanilla wafers
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 large egg whites, divided
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 16 ounces block-style light cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces block-style fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- To prepare cheesecake, place ½ cup sugar, wafers, and a dash of salt in food processor and process until the mixture resembles sand.
- Place one egg white in a small bowl and stir with a whisk until frothy. With the processor on, add 2 tbsp egg white through the chute, processing until blended. (Discard remaining egg white.).
- Spray 8 inch springform pan with cooking spray, and then firmly press mixture into the bottom of the pan and slightly up the sides.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Reduce oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine 1 ½ cups sugar, 3 tbsp cornstarch, and remaining dash salt in a large bowl. Add cheese and beat with a mixer on medium high speed until smooth.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add vanilla and 1 tsp lemon juice and beat until just combined. Add eggs one at a time, and beat after each addition until just combined.
- Pour cheese mixture into prepared springform pan. Bake at 300 degrees for an hour and 15 minutes or until a 3 inch circle in the center of the cheesecake barely jiggles when the side of the pan is tapped.
- Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in the oven for 30 minutes with the door open.
- Remove cheesecake from oven, run a knife around the outside edge. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.