Recipe by Meredith .F
Cooking light Jan 2008-"Flaxseed meal is sold in supermarkets, or you can make your own by grinding 1/3 cup flaxseed in a blender. If you don't have a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, bake the cake in a 9-inch square cake pan."
Top Review by ChiefCook&BottleWasher
I liked the fact that it called for a lot of apples and it was just the right amount for the top of the cake. I made one alteration; used real maple syrup for the corn syrup. Sorry, but I found the cake to be too dry, even with the very moist and wonderful apple topping and the whipcream. I am sure it was not just me because when hubby was done he had left part of the cake-part uneaten. Not like him at all!
- 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons butter
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 3 cups braeburn apples, peeled & thinly sliced (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2⁄3 cup cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed & divided
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream
- ground cinnamon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Melt corn syrup and butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; remove from heat. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and pecans; arrange apple slices spokelike over brown sugar mixture, working from center of skillet to edge.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar, rind, vanilla, and eggs, stirring with a whisk. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Add whole egg mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Gently fold in egg white mixture.
- Spoon batter over apples. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen cake from sides of pan with a knife. Place a plate upside down on top of cake. Invert cake onto plate. Cut into wedges. Serve with whipped cream. Garnish with cinnamon, if desired.