Prep 6 hrs
Cook 8 hrs
Buying dried beans is so much less expensive than canned. Cook the beans in the crock pot and then freeze - inexpensive and easy. Found this recipe on a blog - thanks whoever wrote it. Preparation time is initial soaking time.
- 453.59 g dried beans
- 1419.54-1892.72 ml water
- Rinse beans.
- Pour beans into crock pot and add enough water to cover beans an additional 2 inches.
- Let beans soak for 6 hours or overnight. DO NOT turn crock pot on.
- Drain and rinse beans. Return to crock pot and cover with fresh water as above.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- When beans are cool you can package them in zip lock bags. 1 2/3 cups equals about a can's worth.
- These freeze beautifully.
It was easy & worked great, thanks for posting! I "tripled" the recipe & crock potted on "high" for 8 hours. I live in high altitude & used older dried pinto beans.
Great time-saver. Just what I needed: A hands-free, money-saving, better-for-you way to have beans! I've done this with black beans, red beans, kidney beans...all turn out great. Thanks!
Just found this recipe. Thank You for posting it. Trying to get away from canned foods, which often have high counts of sodium in them. <br/>Being able to put them in the crockpot is going to save a lot of time for me as well: no constant watching during the whole process of cooking. Going to try this today!!