Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Cooking methods for collards.
Make and share this Cooking Collards recipe from Food.com.
- Cut collard leaves from the bulk stalk.
- Cut away large stalky stems.
- Cold water wash collard leaves at least five times.
- Collard leaves can be boiled whole in a large pot until tender.
- Remove collard leaves from pot and cut into bite size pieces.
- Season with ham hock seasoning,salt pork seasoning or bacon seasoning.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- That's one method.
- Method No.
- 2: Cut washed collard leaves into bite size pieces and place in a large cast iron fry pan with lid and add 1/2 cup water, a dash of purple basil, meat seasoning, salt and pepper to taste and steam cook for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the leaves are tender.
These are great! I grew up on these and don't have them often enough to remember exactly how to season them. I used the first method but used about8-10 cups water to boil. I add about 14 cup vegetable oil about a tbls bacon grease (I live in the South!). After they were cooked tender, I drain all the juice except about 2-3 cups. Then I seasoned them with about two tbls sugar, bacon bits, salt and pepper. The sugar really adds to the flavor. They're not really sweet but it's subtle flavor. I continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes. Serve! They're really delicious, just like Mom's. Thanks for the recipe to prompt my memory!