Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is very yummy, great for summer! We had a terrible time trying to find a recipe for Cookies and Cream, so here we go. This also makes a very rich vanilla custard ice cream base if you leave out the cookies. Prep time does not include cooling and freezing time.
- Heat half and half until very hot (not boiling), stirring often.
- Mix egg yolks and sugar until well blended and slightly thickened, very gradually blend in hot half and half.
- Add mixture to a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until steamy and bubbles form around edge, stirring constantly. Do not boil.
- Once hot, pour into a large bowl and stir in whipping cream, vanilla, and salt.
- Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Add to ice cream maker per your manufacturer's instructions, stir in crushed oreos during last stage of freezing.
This is an excellent recipe for cookies-n-cream ice cream. I used heavy cream and whole milk for mine instead of the half and half and whipping cream. My ice cream maker only makes 1 1/2 quarts so I only used 2 cups of cream and 2 cups of milk and only 5 eggs. Like another reviewer pointed out the batter does come out yellow at first but I found it lightened up when I added the oreos. I think the cream filling in the oreos helped turn it white. Mine looked just like the picture in the icecream cone. This is one of my favorite ice cream flavors and I will definently make it again.
So, I totally messed this recipe up. I put all the ingrediants except the cookies in the pot. Then put in the ice cream maker with ice around it. Let it cool. Added some chocolate sauce and oreos. It was a huge hit!! I would double the recipe next time. Also, I only used 5 egg yolks.
This is such a great recipe! Infact, this is the exact same recipe that comes from the Kitchen Aid icecream attachment book. This is cookies n' cream, recorder by Kitchen Aid as it and it taste like cookies and cream, so the guy was obviously wrong. Very good, I highly recommend it to anyone!! And the overrun is very very low so it makes it even more tastey!