Recipe by MizEmerilLagasse
This is a cake that I came up with when talking with my mom and sister at lunch to other day. I was saying that I wanted to make a dark chocolate cake with a white chocolate icing. My mother, on the other hand, said that she wanted a dark chocolate cake, but with an Oreo icing. Who doesn't do everything their mother wants? LOL! Well, anyway, she got her way, and this cake too.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder (you can use regular, but the flavor is just not the same)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white chocolate chips, plus
- 2 tablespoons white chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup shortening, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 15 Oreo cookies, crushed into crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 340F (yes 340F) then grease and very lightly flour two 9" round cake pans, set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, pudding mix, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, milk, and oil then add the mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into each cake pan and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan then turn out onto cooling racks.
- In a small bowl, add the 3 tablespoons of white chocolate chips and the 1/2 cup milk.
- Microwave on 50% for 1 minute then stir the chocolate until melted into milk.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of white chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the shortening for about 30 seconds.
- Add 1 1/4 cups of the powdered sugar and beat until about combined.
- Add the white chocolate mixture and beat until combined.
- Add the last 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar (and maybe a bit more milk if it looks to thick) and beat until combined.
- Fold in the Oreo's.
- To Assemble:.
- Place one of the cake pieces, bottom side (flat side) up on your cake platter or wherever you want it to stay.
- Spread of a thin layer of the icing and top with the other piece of cake, bottom side up.
- Pour the rest of the icing on top of the cake and gently work it out and over the sides (it will see like there is not enough and will take a long time, but don't worry, it is the perfect amount).