Recipe by LAURIE
Posted for the Zaar World Tour to Africa. I have yet to make these but I there is sweet potato bread, pie, biscuits and cake...why not cookies?
Top Review by revbet
I made these to serve for communion at church on World Communion Sunday along with bread from other countries and they were a hit. The teens in the Confirmation class badgered me to make them that night at their class and they gulped them down with gallons of milk. Now I'm sharing the recipe with most of the church. As others have noted, be careful not to overbake.
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup finely grated raw sweet potato
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together butter and sugar in bowl. Blend in lemon zest, nutmeg, honey and egg. Fold in sweet potato.
- In separate bowl. sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add it to the first mixture and blend well.
- Arrange cookie dough by rounded teaspoons on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes.
- To make glaze, use a wooden spoon to combine all ingredients in glass container until smooth.
- Add more water by the drop until glaze is easy to spread on cooled cookies.