Recipe by CoolMonday
This is a great recipe for variety (English, French, Greek, German, Finnish, Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, Turkish, Mexican. I have split them up two to a recipe, but if you want them all, there are 5 separate recipes. They are made from one basic cookie dough. I think some of them may be posted individually, but at Christmas I make the entire variety. Each batch of basic dough makes a batch of two of the cookies with the ingredients I have listed.
Top Review by * Pamela *
I used this recipe for my Wednesday night kid's club cooking class and it was perfect! I made up a big batch of the basic dough and then divided it into 4 of the variations. This recipe fit well into my 'around the year theme'. I used red, green and yellow coloured sugar for the coating.
BASIC COOKIE DOUGH
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup colored crystal sugar
MEXICAN SWIZZLE STICKS
- 1 (1 ounce) envelopepremelted chocolate
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce premelted chocolate
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup colored crystal sugar or 1⁄4 cup chocolate sprinkles or 1⁄4 cup finely chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- BASIC COOKIE DOUGH.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour slowly, and mix well.
- Divide in two.
- TURKISH TWIRLS.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Add to 1/2 basic cookie dough- lemon peel and ground cardamom.
- Mix well.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoons into pencil-like strips, about 6 inches long.
- Roll strips in colored sugar.
- Coil around into spiral shapes.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet about 10 minutes until set.
- Immediately remove from baking sheet.
- MEXICAN SWIZZLE STICKS.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix into 1/2 basic cookie dough- premelted chocolate and cinnamon.
- Using star plate cookie press, for 4 inch fingers on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 5-7 minutes, or until set.
- Drizzle with chocolate glaze made as follows.
- blend confectioners sugar, premelted chocolate, and milk.
- Sprinkle with colored shot, chocolate shot or nuts.
- Or, if desired, dip ends in or dust with Cinnamon/sugar made by blending 1/4 cup confectioners sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.