Recipe by CoolMonday
This is a great recipe for variety (English, French, Greek, German, Finnish, Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, Turkish, Mexican. I have split them two to a recipe but if you want them all, there are 5 of them or 10 recipes. They are made from one basic cooke dough. I think some of them may be posted individually but at Christmas I make the entire variety. Each batch of basic dough makes a batch of two of the cookies with the ingredients I have listed. Time does not include chilling time.
Top Review by Adragonfly
These clove cookies were both my mother and my little sisters favorites. They have requested the recipe. The Love cookies taste like a spicy gingerbread with the kick of the lemon glaze...different and wonderful.
BASIC COOKIE DOUGH
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine, softened
- 354.88 ml confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
GREEK CLOVE COOKIES
- 2.46 ml brandy flavoring
- 24 whole cloves
GERMAN LOVE COOKIES
- 59.14 ml chopped nuts
- 59.14 ml dark molasses
- 2.46 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 236.59 ml confectioners' sugar
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 7.39 ml water
- 0.13-0.19 ml food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- BASIC COOKIE DOUGH.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour slowly and mix well.
- Divide into two.
- GREEK CLOVE CRESCENTS.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix brandy into 1/2 cookie dough.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoon into balls and crescents.
- Press one whole clove into center of each.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet 10- 12 minutes until set but not brown.
- Dust with confectioners sugar.
- GERMAN LOVE COOKIES.
- Mix into 1/2 cookie dough- nuts, molasses, lemon peel, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Heat over to 375.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch on well-floured cloth covered board.
- Cut into rectangles 2 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet 10- 12 minutes- until no imprint remains when touched lightly.
- In bowl mix confectioners sugar, lemon juice, water and food color for glaze.
- While cookies are warm, brush with glaze.