Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great recipe for variety (English, French, Greek, German, Finnish, Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, Turkish, Mexican. I have split them two to a recipe but if you want them all, there are 5 of them or 10 recipes. They are made from one basic cooke dough. I think some of them may be posted individually but at Christmas I make the entire variety. Each batch of basic dough makes a batch of two of the cookies with the ingredients I have listed. Time does not include chilling time.
BASIC COOKIE DOUGH
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine, softened
- 354.88 ml confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
GREEK CLOVE COOKIES
- 2.46 ml brandy flavoring
- 24 whole cloves
GERMAN LOVE COOKIES
- 59.14 ml chopped nuts
- 59.14 ml dark molasses
- 2.46 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 236.59 ml confectioners' sugar
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 7.39 ml water
- 0.13-0.19 ml food coloring (optional)
- BASIC COOKIE DOUGH.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour slowly and mix well.
- Divide into two.
- GREEK CLOVE CRESCENTS.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix brandy into 1/2 cookie dough.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoon into balls and crescents.
- Press one whole clove into center of each.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet 10- 12 minutes until set but not brown.
- Dust with confectioners sugar.
- GERMAN LOVE COOKIES.
- Mix into 1/2 cookie dough- nuts, molasses, lemon peel, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Heat over to 375.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch on well-floured cloth covered board.
- Cut into rectangles 2 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet 10- 12 minutes- until no imprint remains when touched lightly.
- In bowl mix confectioners sugar, lemon juice, water and food color for glaze.
- While cookies are warm, brush with glaze.
These clove cookies were both my mother and my little sisters favorites. They have requested the recipe. The Love cookies taste like a spicy gingerbread with the kick of the lemon glaze...different and wonderful.