1/1 Photo of Cookies Around the World 2 of 5
This is a great recipe for variety (English, French, Greek, German, Finnish, Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, Turkish, Mexican. I have split them two to a recipe but if you want them all, there are 5 of them or 10 recipes. They are made from one basic cooke dough. I think some of them may be posted individually but at Christmas I make the entire variety. Each batch of basic dough makes a batch of two of the cookies with the ingredients I have listed. Time does not include chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
BASIC COOKIE DOUGH
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
GREEK CLOVE COOKIES
- 1/2 teaspoon brandy flavoring
- 24 whole cloves
GERMAN LOVE COOKIES
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1BASIC COOKIE DOUGH.
- 2Cream butter and sugar.
- 3Beat in egg and vanilla.
- 4Add flour slowly and mix well.
- 5Divide into two.
- 6GREEK CLOVE CRESCENTS.
- 7Preheat oven to 375.
- 8Mix brandy into 1/2 cookie dough.
- 9Shape dough by rounded teaspoon into balls and crescents.
- 10Press one whole clove into center of each.
- 11Bake on ungreased baking sheet 10- 12 minutes until set but not brown.
- 13Dust with confectioners sugar.
- 14GERMAN LOVE COOKIES.
- 15Mix into 1/2 cookie dough- nuts, molasses, lemon peel, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg.
- 16Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- 17Heat over to 375.
- 18Roll dough to 1/4 inch on well-floured cloth covered board.
- 19Cut into rectangles 2 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches.
- 20Bake on ungreased baking sheet 10- 12 minutes- until no imprint remains when touched lightly.
- 21In bowl mix confectioners sugar, lemon juice, water and food color for glaze.
- 22While cookies are warm, brush with glaze.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cookies Around the World 2 of 5
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.6
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 34.9 mg
- Sodium 83.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: