Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Don't be fooled by the ease of this recipe, it is an absolute killer dessert and one that you will make over and over! If you want a higher dessert then use 4 quarts ice cream. Recipe can be reduced to fit an 8 x 8-inch pan or pie plate, see *note* on bottom. Prep time is chilling time.
- Prepare a 13 x 9-inch freezer-safe glass dish.
- Finely grind the cookies with the melted butter until moist clumps form.
- Press the mixture into prepared dish and freeze for 40 minutes (or longer).
- Spoon the softened ice cream over the crust; freeze for 1-1/2 hours or until firm.
- In a small heavy saucepan combine cream and corn syrup; bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly; remove from heat.
- Add in chocolate and peppermint extract mix or whisk until melted and smooth.
- Cool the mixture to lukewarm whisking occasionally (about 20 minutes).
- Spoon the mixture over frozen ice cream covering completely.
- Place back in the freezer for a minimum of 1 hour or up to 3 days covered tightly with foil.
- Sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
- *NOTE* this recipe can also be made in an 8 x 8-inch pan or a deep dish 8 or 9-inch pie plate.
- For the crust use 22 Oreo cookies with 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 - 1 quart ice cream.
- For the topping, use 1/3 cup whipping cream, 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup, 4 ounces chocolate and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Prepare using the same method.