Recipe by Bev
If you like Oreo Cookies you are going to love this! Making a cooked custard first makes this a quality, smooth and creamy ice cream. This recipe makes about 3 1/2 - 4 quarts of ice cream. I hope you will enjoy this!
Top Review by Rebekah of SFD
This is a delicious recipe! Cookies & Cream is one of my favorite flavors, so I was happy to find this. I used a double boiler for the custard part, I find that helps keep the milk from burning, as well as the eggs from forming lumps when added. The only suggestion I have would be to wait until after churning to stir in the cookies by hand - by adding them as directed before churning the first time I made this, I ended up with brown ice cream from the cookies being pulverized throughout the churning time. Stirring them in by hand at the end only takes a moment, and leaves nice big chunks. Wonderful, easy recipe - thank you for sharing!
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 25 chocolate sandwich style cookies, crumbled (like Oreos)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, flour (1/2 cup + 2 TBS) and salt in a saucepan.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat approximately 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup hot mixture into the beaten eggs.
- Add egg mixture to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Combine whipping cream, half and half and vanilla in large bowl; add chilled mixture, stirring with wire whisk to combine.
- Add crumbled cookies before freezing.
- Freeze as directed using your ice cream maker manufacturer's directions.