Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Do you like macadamia nuts, coffee and chocolate...you will love these cookies. This recipe makes big, soft chewy cookies, that harden a little as they cool.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour or 1 1⁄2 cups wheat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, pure
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup macadamia nuts, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease cookie sheet and set aside.
- Combine, flour, soda and salt in small bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine for 4 minutes butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, blending well.
- Next add vanilla extract and the espresso coffee.
- Add the flour mixture slowly, 1/3 at a time, until well blended.
- Blend in the chocolate and fold in the nuts.
- Drop 2 tbsp batter onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Allow room for spreading.
- Bake 12 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool.
These cookies turned out absolutely outstanding!!! I think, due to my changes, they didn't quite turn out like intended, but smell, texture and flavour are 10 stars for my tastebuds! First of all I used gluten free flour, which shouldn't have affected the texture too much. But then I realised that I was run out of margarine, so I had to use shortening instead of butter. That, I suppose, made most of the difference. I melted the shortening and mixed in the chocolate, which was very dark chocolate, then slowly poured and whisked the mix into the eggs which I had beaten with the sugar / rice syrup I used. After adding the flour, I had a fudgy glop. Heavenly smell and good to work with, but very funny texture! Then I first panicked because the cookies refused to spread, so I flattened them while baking... All in all a very hilarious performance with an outstanding result :lol: Thanks a ton for posting this, I'll for sure make these cookies again!!! Made for Comfort Cafe Snowqueen's Round 2010.
Made these for my other half to take to work & share ~ The slight taste of the coffee (or was it just knowing it was in there?) was much more appreciated there than here, since the 8 people there devoured these in no time! Word is they really enjoyed the macadamia nuts as a welcome change from the usual walnuts or almonds! Thanks for the nice treat, BK! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the current Comfort Cafe as part of the theme BK's Chocolate 'Espressons']
Took these to the DS's music recreation group were they were enjoyed. I got 16 out of the batch (forgot a metric tablespoon is bigger than imperial) and they were huge measuring 12cm (4 3/4"). Baked 165C in a fan forced oven for 14 minutes. I did double the nuts to ensure that some went into every cookie/biscuit and would consider lightly crushing them to get a better distribution through the mix. Thank you Baby Kato, made for Aussie Swap #18 July 2008.