My favorite peanut butter cookies! Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside--just the way I like them. From Sheila Lukins USA Cookbook, a great book!
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Cream the butter, shortening, and both sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then mix in the peanut butter.
- Add the flour mixture by the cupful and beat at low speed to mix well.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and place on ungreased baking sheets (I line the sheets with parchment paper) about 2 inches apart.
- Press each cookie twice in each direction with a lightly floured fork to make a crosshatch design.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- ***Do not overbake--they will still be a bit pale, but if you overbake, they won't be chewy on the inside.
- ***Use a spatula to transfer to a rack to cool.