Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This will harden and it will hardens quite quickly, it's the perfect icing to decorate cookies, if desired you may omit the vanilla, I like to add it in, the amounts may be reduced by half if desired.
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (sifted after measuring)
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk (skim or 1% is fine although I have made this successfully using 2% fat milk)
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (more if needed to reach desired consistency)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- food coloring (use colors of choice)
- VERY IMPORTANT; the confectioners sugar must be sifted before using.
- In a bowl beat the sifted confectioners sugar with milk until smooth.
- Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until smooth and glossy (if icing is too thick add in a small amount of corn syrup).
- Divide into as many separate bowls as desired.
- Add in different food coloring to each bowl beating/whisking until the intensity is achieved.
- Paint the icing over the cookies using a brush or dip the cookie edges into icing (this will set quite quickly).
- Place cookies on waxed paper to dry.
You can beat, stir, mix or whip this for days, but 2 cups of confectionery sugar and one tablespoon of milk will never result in anything smooth. That means that all the "reviewers" not mentioning that flaw never actually tried making it.<br/>With 3+ tablespoons of milk, it's flawless.
I've used this recipe for years for my Valentine Day cookies. I've never had a problem with lumps - I use a electric hand mixer to mix this. I use vanilla flavoring only - because I don't like almond flavoring. I half the recipe and make 4 different colors. I frost 5 dozen cookies with it, which are approximately 3 x 3 in size.
I can't believe I've found an icing recipe that isn't overly complicated, with beautiful results!! We used this tonight w/ our sugar cookies & it is simple to make, tastes good, & also hardens quickly.We did color ours & found that we had to put the sprinkles on immediately, because it sets quickly.Thanks for a keeper!!