This will harden and it will hardens quite quickly, it's the perfect icing to decorate cookies, if desired you may omit the vanilla, I like to add it in, the amounts may be reduced by half if desired.
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (sifted after measuring)
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk (skim or 1% is fine although I have made this successfully using 2% fat milk)
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (more if needed to reach desired consistency)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- food coloring (use colors of choice)
- VERY IMPORTANT; the confectioners sugar must be sifted before using.
- In a bowl beat the sifted confectioners sugar with milk until smooth.
- Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until smooth and glossy (if icing is too thick add in a small amount of corn syrup).
- Divide into as many separate bowls as desired.
- Add in different food coloring to each bowl beating/whisking until the intensity is achieved.
- Paint the icing over the cookies using a brush or dip the cookie edges into icing (this will set quite quickly).
- Place cookies on waxed paper to dry.