Recipe by East Wind Goddess
The original recipe was found on the LAist Blog and I modified some of the ingredients. Once you try these, you'll never eat a plain rice krispy treat again! Brown butter goodness, rich, decadent spices, rum-soaked fruits make these "adult" treats a go-to goody that comes together in a flash.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (10 ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted cashews, chopped or 1⁄2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup golden raisins, soaked in rum or 1 cup brandy, until soft and plumped
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a 9x13 inch pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Measure out the cereal and set aside. Pour the marshmallows into a large bowl and set aside.
- To make the browned butter: Melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat. Continue to cook, swirling the pan occasionally until the butter boils and turns golden brown and smells slightly nutty. Keep an eye on it because you don't want it to burn. This could take 5-10 minutes.
- Once the butter is brown and nutty, remove from heat and immediately pour it into the large bowl over the marshmallows- some brown bits may go with it, and that's okay. Stir to combine then place the entire bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and reheat for an additional 30 seconds until the marshmallows have completely melted. Be careful because the mixture will be hot. Repeat if necessary.
- Stir the spices and vanilla extract into the marshmallow mixture and mix until combined. Add in the raisins and nuts. Add the cereal to the marshmallow-spice mixture and stir until everything is well coated. Scrape the mixture into the buttered pan. With buttered hands, press the cereal evenly into the corners and smooth the top.
- Let cool completely and cut into bars.