Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Taste of Home; very rich
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt.
- Add oil, eggs, and vanilla; beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts, if desired.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until brownies test done.
- Cool completely.
- For filling, cream butter and sugars in a mixing bowl.
- Add milk and vanilla; mix well.
- Beat in flour.
- Spread over the brownies; chill until firm.
- For glaze, melt chocolate chips and shortening in a saucepan, stirring until smooth.
- Spread over filling.
- Immediately sprinkle with nuts, pressing down slightly.
I made these for my daughter's sleep-over. Wow!! These were so incredible. Very rich and intensly chocolate. The cookie dough layer just sends it over the top. My daughter and her friends all loved them. Like the shampoo commercial says--a totally organic experience, if you get my drift.
I have exactly the same recipe from an old Taste of Home magazine and it is amazing. The different flavours work well together and it's not overwhelmingly sweet. My boyfriend (who will soon be my husband) took a few of these to work and one of his colleagues said he was pretty sure my boyfriend was making the right decision, to marry a woman who could bake so well ;-) Be careful not to overheat and burn the glaze. It doesn't take long at all for those chocolate chips to melt. Sometimes I dust the brownies with coconut instead of walnuts.
I have been making these brownies for several years and they are delicious. The only change I make is to add chocolate chips to the cookie dough batter before spreading. This is a wonderful seller at bake sales and never lasts long around the house!! Wonderful and easy!!