Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Here is a great lightened rhubarb bar with a yummy cookie crust. It goes together quickly and doesn't last long at my house!
- 2⁄3 cup white flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cold
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups rhubarb, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 11x7 baking pan.
- Combine flours and powdered sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coase crumbs (mixture will seem powdery, but will come together while baking).
- Press mixture to bottom on baking pan and bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gently combine sugars, flour, egg whites and vanilla. Stir in rhubarb.
- Pour mixture over warm crust and bake for 35-40 minutes until wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack, can be served warm.
- Store in refrigerator.
This is one of the best rhubarb pies I've tried, it has just the right mix of sweetness and tartness, and it's so easy to make. Everyone I've served it to has loved it. It's important to have the right proportion between eggwhites and rhubarb, though, to achieve this, so always measure your rhubarb!
LOVED it! This is the first time I've tried Rhubarb. Both my dad and husband said they hate Rhubarb, but I made them eat a little bite and they proceeded to eat 4 bars each! Mom would have been proud.
I started out changing the yield to 8 bars and once I had the crust made discovered that I have no pan that would equate to half of 11x7 in any shape. After a lot of searching I decided to the a 6 cup muffin pan. I pressed the crust mix in and a little way up the sides and baked for 10 mins (8 might have been better). Then spooned equal amounts of the rhubarb into the cups and added the liquid in the bowl on top of the rhubarb. I baked again for 20 mins but they were not at all brown on the top, lowered the oven to 325F and after another 10 mins pulled them out. They were still not brown on top but the crust was almost too brown. Never the less, they taste marvelous. I used all Splenda and frozen rhubarb. Yummm!