Recipe by newspapergal
This recipe combines two of my DH's favorite desserts -- sugar cookies and lemon bars. Using packaged cookie dough makes this come together really quickly. I adapted this from a recipe I got in an email, and love the result of the three different sources of tart-lemonness.
Top Review by Ms B.
These lemon bars couldn't be easier, and are very good. I like how the cookie dough crust isn't as crumbly as a traditional graham cracker one. The sugar cookie is a good match to the lemon. I used extra lemon zest and extract for lots of lemon flavor. These are a winner.
- 1 (18 ounce) roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Slice cookie dough as directed on package. Arrange slices in bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch glass pan. With lightly floured fingers, press dough evenly in pan. (Even though the cookie dough is cold/just out of the fridge, pressing it down is pretty easy. It'll take the whole roll to cover the 13x9 pan).
- Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- In large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, flour and baking powder; blend well. Blend together lemon juice, lemon extract and lemon zest. Add lemon mixture to egg-sugar mixture, and pour over warm crust.
- Bake at 350°F for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until top is light golden brown. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; cut into bars.