Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe combines two of my DH's favorite desserts -- sugar cookies and lemon bars. Using packaged cookie dough makes this come together really quickly. I adapted this from a recipe I got in an email, and love the result of the three different sources of tart-lemonness.
- 1 (18 ounce) roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Slice cookie dough as directed on package. Arrange slices in bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch glass pan. With lightly floured fingers, press dough evenly in pan. (Even though the cookie dough is cold/just out of the fridge, pressing it down is pretty easy. It'll take the whole roll to cover the 13x9 pan).
- Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- In large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, flour and baking powder; blend well. Blend together lemon juice, lemon extract and lemon zest. Add lemon mixture to egg-sugar mixture, and pour over warm crust.
- Bake at 350°F for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until top is light golden brown. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; cut into bars.
These lemon bars couldn't be easier, and are very good. I like how the cookie dough crust isn't as crumbly as a traditional graham cracker one. The sugar cookie is a good match to the lemon. I used extra lemon zest and extract for lots of lemon flavor. These are a winner.
I made these for a friends birthday by request. Used the crust from Lemon Bar Cookies, but went this filling after reading the reviews.
Everyone loved it including my boyfriend who is not particularly fond of sweets.
I followed a few other peoples advice and made more filling and reserved some the crumb mixture for the topping.
The looked great and smelled wonderful.
Excellent, excellent squares! You have no idea how fast these vanished! Everyone was going back for seconds, thirds and fourths! I used The Ultimate Sugar Cookies instead of the refrigerated dough and I had enough extra to make a pan of cookies plus put a crumbled cookie dough topping on these (I added it after the lemon mixture had baked for about 10 minutes). Definitely a keeper!