Recipe by *Pixie*
Kids love to assemble and decorate theirs. Prep time includes time for chilling and is likely to vary depending on how warm your kitchen is.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (NO SUBSTITUTIONS)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- frosting or decorative candies or candy sprinkles or colored crystal sugar, for decoration (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Throughly combine the oatmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Melt chocolate chips (either in the microwave or over hot water in a double boiler).
- Add the melted chocolate, eggs and vanilla to the sugar mix and beat well.
- Add the oatmeal mixture to the sugar mixture and mix well.
- Cover and chill until easy to work with.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For each bear: Make a 1" ball for the body, a 1/2" ball for the head and 1/4" balls for the arms, legs and ears.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and gently press together to form bears.
- Flatten bear slightly.
- Bears should be at least 2" apart.
- Makes 24 bears.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until just firm to the touch.
- Do not overbake.
- Cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate as desired with frosting and candies.