Recipe by COOKGIRl
I combined standard American meatloaf recipe with a Middle Eastern kibbe recipe. No, didn't use raw meat but I like this method better as the meatloaf isn't dense and heavy when baked in a pie plate. I created this meatloaf recipe a long time ago. The meat can also be cooked as individual loaves in greased muffin tins.
Top Review by Inklady
This recipe was really good with an out-of-the-ordinary taste. I doubled the recipe, thinking the neighbor would get one of the pies, but DH said that he would really like some for later. I used oats instead of bulgur. I also had some end of the year tomatoes to use up, so I just finely chopped them up peel & all instead of the stewed tomatoes. They were fine. The walnuts were also an interesting addition, and upped the nutrition. Thank you so much for posting this recipe, Cookgirl.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chicken (turkey, lamb, or beef and lamb combo can be subbed)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely minced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sumaq
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup fine bulgur wheat or 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup potato flakes or 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried mint, crushed finely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, ground or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a pie plate and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl combine all the ingredients except for the dried parsley. If mixture seems to watery, add some more bulgur. However, DO NOT overmix meat mixture.
- Spoon into the pie plate, flattening top with spatula. Garnish top with the dried parsley.
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until meat is cooked through and no longer pink in the center. If meat seems to be browning too much on top, cover with foil.
- Remove from oven, let rest 10 minutes then slice up and serve with mashed potatoes, veggies and bread.
- Freezes well. IDEA: I usually cut the meatloaf up into small squares and serve for breakfast; freezing the remaining squares for another time. Leftover meatloaf sandwich anyone?.
- All ingredient amounts are estimated.