Recipe by quickandsimple
Got Turkey? How about shredded turkey for a delicous taco or chimichanga. No one will guess it is turkey. My DH hates turkey but gobbled this up it really takes on the flavor of the ingredients.
Top Review by KC's Mom
I love this! I do it a little differently. Put the carcass in a pot of water to cover, bring it to a boil, and let it cook down for about an hour or so. Save the broth for another use. Shred the chicken. Saute onions in a little oil, then pour shredded chicken into pan. Pour tomato sauce & salsa in, mixing. I just season to taste, adding Abodo (an all-purpose Mexican seasoning), onion powder, garlic powder, oregano and cumin. I then let it cook down for about an hour, stirring frequently. What isn't consumed at dinner, I save for chicken taco salads the next day!!
- 5 lbs turkey meat (white and dark)
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of minced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 green pepper strip
- 1 sweet red pepper strips
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (I will posting an easy one soon)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place turkey or chicken in pot and fill with water just slightly above the turkey.
- Add tomato sauce (more is better).
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer on low and stir frequently.
- After the turkey has cooked for about an hour begin breaking up any clumped turkey pieces to get it shredded.
- Once the broth has dissapated and about 1/3 is left -- Turn off and ENJOY!
- Add to taco shells or in a burrito.
- To add some zing add a litttle cayenne pepper. You can also fry the burrito to make it a chimichanga.