Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Got Turkey? How about shredded turkey for a delicous taco or chimichanga. No one will guess it is turkey. My DH hates turkey but gobbled this up it really takes on the flavor of the ingredients.
- 5 lbs turkey meat (white and dark)
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of minced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 green pepper strip
- 1 sweet red pepper strips
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (I will posting an easy one soon)
- Place turkey or chicken in pot and fill with water just slightly above the turkey.
- Add tomato sauce (more is better).
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer on low and stir frequently.
- After the turkey has cooked for about an hour begin breaking up any clumped turkey pieces to get it shredded.
- Once the broth has dissapated and about 1/3 is left -- Turn off and ENJOY!
- Add to taco shells or in a burrito.
- To add some zing add a litttle cayenne pepper. You can also fry the burrito to make it a chimichanga.
I love this! I do it a little differently. Put the carcass in a pot of water to cover, bring it to a boil, and let it cook down for about an hour or so. Save the broth for another use. Shred the chicken. Saute onions in a little oil, then pour shredded chicken into pan. Pour tomato sauce & salsa in, mixing. I just season to taste, adding Abodo (an all-purpose Mexican seasoning), onion powder, garlic powder, oregano and cumin. I then let it cook down for about an hour, stirring frequently. What isn't consumed at dinner, I save for chicken taco salads the next day!!
This is a good way to use up leftover chicken. I only had a little over a pound, so I used 1 tsp. of minced onion, garlic salt and oregano. I didn't use any pepper strips. I used 1/4 cup of salsa. Very good taste. Thank you!