Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
This is a good cooked dressing that pairs up together with mayo.
Make and share this Cooked Potato or Pasta Salad Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard or 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 cup mayonnaise (NOT SALAD DRESSING)
- In a medium saucepan mix all ingredients together.
- Bring to a light boil, whisking constantly until thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat, cool slightly then whisk in mayo.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cool completely before adding to you potato or pasta salad.
This is a great, no fuss version of an old standard. It has just the right amount of sweetness, just the right amount of vinegar...very nice. The recipe was more than enough to cover a lb. of pasta and mixed veggies (broccoli, peas, vidalias, zukes, and carrots). I am going to enjoy my packed lunches this week! Thanks. :)
The instructions have an error. It says mix all ingredients and bring to low boil. Then it says to whisk in mayo later. So if you follow the original instructions your mayo is already in the pot. Hope it doesn't make a difference.
This was very easy to put together. Mine cooked up in the stated 2 minutes. I used only 1/2 cup mayonnaise but found the mustard to be a little on the strong side, next time I will either reduce the mustard or increase the mayo. I found using a whisk didnt get all the dressing from the edges so I used both a whisk and a wooden spoon. I made a pasta salad using tri coloured vegetable pasta (fusilli) with green beans, peas, carrots and broccoli. Thanks for posting this recipe, one I wlll be trying with potato salad very soon!