Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 mins
This is quite similar to the potato salads that are sold in plastic containers at the deli department, if you like those salads you will love this dressing, you can increase the mayonnaise slightly to 1-1/2 cups, if you are making a large salad then double the complete recipe, I also add in 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder to the saucepan, you might want to add that in also if you are a garlic lover, I also use seasoned salt in place of white salt, you have the option of using either one. Prep time does not include chilling time. This is a great dressing for potato salad as well as pasta salad, hope you enjoy ;-)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar (if you prefer a sweeter dressing then increase sugar by a few tablespoons)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I use 1 teaspoon seasoned salt)
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream (or use milk, half and half is better)
- 1 -3 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard (if you are a mustard lover add in 2 or 3 teaspoons)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup mayonnaise (do not use salad dressing!)
- black pepper (or to taste) (optional)
- In a saucepan whisk together 2 eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Add in vinegar, half and half cream or milk, mustard and black pepper; bring to a simmer and cook whisking over medium-low heat heat until bubbly and thickened (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in 2 tablespoons butter into the hot mixture until completely combined.
- Cool slightly then refrigerate until completely cooled (about 2 hours).
- Mix in the 1 cup mayonnaise (can use up to 1-1/2 cups, start with 1 cup and add in more if desired) until combined, then season with black pepper if desired.
- *NOTE* if you are a mustard-lover you can add in a small amount more to taste after mixing in the mayonnaise (add in 1 teaspoon at a time as the mustard taste can overpower the dressing.