Recipe by Jenny Frenny
This is the chicken and broth I use to make chicken and dumplings. I make the dumplings on the Bisquick box. I like to divide the chicken and broth into two pots so I can double the recipe for dumplings. Adding the Bisquick dumplings thickens up the broth and makes is creamy.
- 1 (3 -5 lb) whole chickens
- 2 onions
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks celery & leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken, vegetables and seasoning in largest stockpot you have. Cover with water to fill almost to top.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Carefully lift chicken out of broth, it will most likely fall apart. Place in bowl to cool so you can pick meat off bones.
- Strain the broth to remove the soggy vegetables. Pour broth back into stock pot. Check for seasoning.
- Pick chicken meat off bones and tear into bite size pieces. Return chicken to broth.
- Bring stew back to boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add dumplings of your choice.