Recipe by MarieRynr
Use the ingredient list here as a guide, but buy whichever fresh vegetables look best at the market. Add shredded prosciutto and grataed cheese if you wish. Cook time is toss together time. We often have this in the summer when fresh vegetables are at their best.
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 6 large shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 lbs fresh peas, shelled to yield 2 cups
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch to 2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch watercress, washed and chopped
- 1 head baby bibb lettuce, washed and torn into pieces
- 1 bunch celery leaves, from 1 bunch celery
- 3 small celery ribs, sliced paper thin
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 scallions, white parts only,finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 TBS oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add pine nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until brown, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and, if necessary, add more oil.
- Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels, set aside.
- Meanwhile, char bell pepper over a flame, or under a broiler, turning to blacken all over.
- Place in a paper bag, close tightly, steam for 15 minutes.
- Rub off and remove skin, cut in half, discard core and seeds, and dice.
- Set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the peas and beans, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook briefly so that both peas and beans retain a little crunch, about 4 minutes.
- Drain in colander and stop cooking process by running under cold water.
- Pat dry.
- Combine nuts, shallots, bell pepper, peas, beans, watercress, lettuce, celerly leaves, celery, fennel, basil, parsley, and scallions in a salad bowl.
- Mix together lemon juice and remaining 3 to 4 TBs olive oil in a small mixing bowl.
- Drizzle over salad.
- Toss and season to taste with salt and pepper.