Recipe by Mrs.R
A little over 200 calories for a CUPCAKE?!?! While watching tv one afternnoon, my DH & I stumbled upon the show "Cook Yourself Thin" and watched Harry make these healthy cupcakes. Sounds so great!
For the Frosting
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 finely grated lemon, zest of
For the Cupcakes
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups peeled zucchini, finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- For the frosting: Combine the egg whites, sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a heatproof bowl and set over (not in) a pan of simmering water.
- Stir continuously over heat until the mixture is warm and the sugar is completely dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the heat. Using an electric mixer, beat on high until the mixture is entirely cooled, glossy and stiff, about 7 minutes.
- Blend in the lemon zest until smooth — once smooth, take care not to overbeat or the mixture will get lumpy. Let frosting set and cool in the refrigerator (at least 30 minutes), while making the cupcakes.
- For the cupcakes: Whisk together the flour, almonds and baking powder. In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla with a mixer until thick and light-colored, about 4 minutes.
- Beat in the zucchini on low speed until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until fully incorporated, scraping down the bowl once with a spatula during beating. Use a 1/3-cup measure to spoon into the muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes, turning the pan midway through baking. Transfer cupcakes out onto a wire rack and cool completely before icing with the chilled frosting.